Secure business in the Cloud through DevOps and SecOps
Cloud-based DevOps can be secure, simple, and reliable. DevOps is a software development methodology to speed up the systems development life cycle. The main advantage of using DevOps with Cloud is the ready-to-use DevOps environment hosted on the Cloud (like Oracle Cloud Services) that leads to having a simplified, safer, and faster development process. Using cloud services, DevOps teams are able to test applications in production-like environments in a simple and secure way early in the development cycle.
The main security benefits of using cloud services and speeding up the development cycle are the followings:
- DevOps teams are able to identify and remove vulnerabilities earlier in the development cycle. Enterprises avoid economic, operational and reputational risks related to security incidents.
- DevOps teams are more productive and efficient. Cloud-based DevOps let security teams focus on performing vulnerabilities scans, analysis, tests, monitoring and provide feedback to DevOps teams before the application is deployed into production early in the development life cycle. DevOps teams spend less time fixing security issues.
- Cloud-based DevOps enables seamless integration of security into applications. Cloud services allow DevOps teams to use the appropriate security solutions and have close coordination with SecOps teams. SecOps stands for IT security and IT operations. SecOps aims to put security in DevOps first.
- DevOps and SecOps teams work better together. Using the Cloud, DevOps and SecOps teams can work in a more productive and efficient way. Incorporating SecOps early in the development process leads to having better security practices.
- Privileged access management is used to secure Cloud-based DevOps. It is used to control over privileged access to the back ends of all the cloud-based system elements.
- Using cloud services, DevOps teams are able to detect unauthorized changes that are the result of human or malicious intent.
- Cloud services enable DevOps teams to rebuild their systems in order to deal with any type of incident.
- Cloud services enable secure development. DevOps teams are able to write secure code and to test the secure configuration of the cloud applications during the coding and early development life cycle.
- Cloud services allow DevOps teams to integrate security into the CICD pipeline. CICD stands for continuous integration practices and continuous delivery practices. Continuous integration refers to blending the work products of individual developers together into a repository. Continuous delivery aims to minimize the friction points that are inherent in the deployment or release processes. Cloud services enable DevOps teams to run security verification tests to ensure the target subscription (used to deploy a cloud application) and the different resources (that comprise your cloud application) are in a secure state.
- Cloud services provide alerting and monitoring solutions.
- Cloud services offer cloud risk governance. Cloud services generate telemetry events from all stages of DevOps that yield a powerful platform for supporting a data-driven approach cloud risk governance and allow DevOps teams to drive measured and targeted security improvement initiatives in a continuous and incremental fashion.
In many aspects, cloud is more secure than local infrastructure, as security is built-in from the start and in every layer. SecOps expands the reach of security to all corners of the business, showing that security is not just the security team’s problem. In context of DevOps, SecOps provides methodology to develop more secure applications, and implement them in secure environment. It provides development lifecycle where every member of the development cycle is aware of and responsible for security. And implementation of SecOps is not overly complicated, provided several simple rules, amongst which are:
- SecOps training – can be prepared internally or even better used from established third-party resources that provide frameworks and training resources.
- Improve teamwork – avoiding strict differentiation to Security team and Development team, close cross-team collaboration will enable integrated security and quick release of software at the same time.
- SecOps tools – like many tools for development support, it is advisable to test and adopt SecOps tools which can serve as automation platforms and greatly improve yet simplify security implementation in code.
In conclusion, DevOps teams are able to release applications in a secure and simple way. Cloud services enable secure development and detect unauthorized changes that are the result of human or malicious intent.