Release your apps faster and easier – move them to the Cloud
It’s a fact: IT teams are adopting Cloud-based DevOps to make them future-proof – enable deployment to cloud (private or public), run them on-premise and in hybrid environments. DevOps bring many other benefits, like Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Delivery (CD) which provide a smart and short development lifecycle with rapid application improvement when needed. Additionally, using DevOps with Cloud has many benefits including a ready-to-use DevOps environment that is completely worry-free for developers – it is hosted on Cloud (like Oracle Cloud Services), testing applications in production-like environment early in the development cycle, lower costs (for development, testing, deployment, and operations), and a streamlined, safer, and faster development process.
DevOps is short for Development and Operations. It is a software development methodology to streamline and shorten the development lifecycle, as it removes much of the software-development latency. Companies that use DevOps also use Cloud computing more efficiently for increasing their productivity and business agility.
In this article, we explain and focus on the benefits of using cloud services with DevOps for the enterprises.
The benefits of DevOps combined with Cloud services are:
- The main benefit of Cloud-based DevOps is using platform that future-proof your development efforts. We are all aware of legacy app still in usage, years after they were supposed to be decommissioned. If starting new development cycle, it is most important to choose platform that will be actual in another decade – as applications developed on any platform will still be with us for many years to come. If DevOps is used, resulting apps can be run on-premise, in private cloud, public cloud, or in hybrid environments (mix of cloud and on-premise deployment) – and for sure that flexibility is necessary for support of modern agile business processes.
- DevOps are mix of technologies and methodologies enabling speed and flexibility. It is important to have ready-to-use DevOps environment for any forthcoming project, and if hosted on the Cloud it brings invaluable benefits, like very easy and fast reproducibility of any environment. Using a standard and centralized platform for testing, deployment, and production solves many distributed challenges of enterprise systems.
- IT teams are able to release apps faster and easier. DevOps teams are able to rapidly deploy components when needed as the Cloud environment is elastic. Additionally, DevOps teams are using the cloud to test applications early in the development cycle which brings additional quality to finished product. In other words, new features and changes are developed and realized faster.
- Enterprises that adopt cloud services remove the need for usually very long infrastructure-provisioning processes. Most public and private cloud-computing providers (such as Oracle Cloud Services) support DevOps systematically.
- Cloud services also support continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) tools, which provide streamlined development and deployment process. It also provides centralized governance, and lowers the cost of on-premises DevOps tech. It is easier to establish and control the DevOps process via the cloud platform than using separated department-based architectures.
- Developing in the cloud-based environments is the best option because of its simplicity and flexibility. DevOps put a large demand on shared development and test data environments. To solve this, DevOps teams use cloud services which also increase productivity and speed-up production.
- Cloud platform also provides high security with automated, repeatable processes to remove human error and develop security controls early in the development cycle.
- Cloud services reduce downtime. DevOps developers can utilize cloud for stateless application development, which increases availability and failover ability. Hence, it increases business reliability and customer satisfaction.
- Cloud also increases scalability. One of the main reasons modern companies use cloud computing is because of its scalability nature.
In conclusion, companies use ready-to-use DevOps environment hosted on Cloud services to automate the processes of building, managing, and provisioning through code. DevOps teams use cloud services to speed up the development process, remove human error, and achieving repeatability. Hence, DevOps teams are able to test applications in production-like environments early in the development cycle. In addition, Cloud-based DevOps reduce the cost of infrastructure, add high security, and increasing global reach. Using cloud services combined with DevOps is the best option for modern enterprises.