NEOS is providing consultancy & implementation services related to DW, BI, EPM, OFSAA and related systems in different industries – including financial industry and telecom industry – which are our largest customers.
We are providing this kind of services for more than 10 years, having number of successfully finished projects behind us. We have large experience and common best practices related to DW/BI system implementation.
Main services that we provide in this business segment can be divided into the following groups:
Consulting and Analysis – this field refers to services that can be relevant in different project stages, including:
- Assessment of readiness for BI & DW System Implementation;
- Business Requirements Analysis and Documenting;
- BI & DW System Planning and Implementation;
- Selection of Tools/Technologies;
- Existing DW & BI environment assessment (Health Check);
- Data Governance;
- Data Quality Analysis;
Design and implementation – represents the most extensive field in which following activities can be briefly defined:
- Organization of the entire BI & DW system lifecycle;
- Project initiation – Definition of Phases and Deliverables;
- Logical and Physical System Design;
- Implementation of all modules (Data collection – ETL/ELT, Data model, Configuration of SW&HW environment);
- Integration, Testing and Documentation.
Training – is an important part of a BI & DW project and special attention should be devoted to it. The following combination is recommended:
- Predefined standard courses (e.g. Oracle University – often featuring Neos consultants as lecturers),
- Tailored user workshops focusing on the specific areas of interest.
NEOS DW/BI implementation methodology with standardized elements
Although we believe that each DW & BI project is a case for itself, we certainly recommend that the project be organized pursuant to the methodology based on years of experience on similar projects. Thus we can define the basic elements of any DW & BI project:
Analysis – its aim is to set the project bases regarding demands, deliverables, stages, duration etc. The main goals of this stage are:
- definition of user needs,
- definition of system architecture,
- identification of the main subject areas of interest,
- setting project stages according to priorities,
- definition of clear and measurable deliverables.
Logical architecture and standards – this stage refers to setting the project framework in terms of logical system architecture and the development stage. This stage is crucial as it reflects on all further stages of system development, and includes:
- data flow definition according to logical system segments (DSA, ODS, EM, TGT etc.),
- documentation and development standards (names, reusable algorithms, documentation bases etc.).
Physical architecture and technology – this stage refers to definition of HW & SW platform in accordance with current requirements and expected system development.
Iterative development of specific subject areas – this stage (or stages) is focused on deliverables according to the predefined priorities. General recommendation is that these stages last for up to 3-6 months and that they should lead to results that are evident to the end users.
Training – is held in form of interactive workshops with the end users, where future users get familiar with the system through specific practical problems.
Neos DW Framework – refers to a set of development and documentation standards and reusable modules, with upgrade for standard tools such as e.g. Oracle Data Integrated. The DW framework is used during the entire project and its aim is to increase productivity and documentation and upgradeability of the system. The main system components are:
- reusable modules and algorithms (increased productivity and decreased implementation risk),
- mechanisms for recording of process performance status (enable process restarting/traceability, loading consistency in case of error),
- monitoring and system governance modules (process performance statistics, dependencies, failure removal),
- standardized notification and alarming mechanisms,
- module development and documentation standards (document templates).
Neos as implementation partner can be engaged in different roles based on customer requirements and system specifics. Neos consultants involvement is ranging to purely consultancy services related to Business/technical aspects to detail technical implementation of different components.
In this chapter we are providing you with general overview of project methodology defining project phases on high level based on our internal DW/BI project methodology.
Main project is divided in phases based on each delivery (Subject Area), and each phase can be divided in sub phases from implementation point of view:
- Project kick-off
- Reporting requirements analysis
- Source system data analysis
- Infrastructure setup
- Data model design/customization and implementation
- ETL/ELT Procedures implementation
- Design and implementation of Cubes and aggregate tables
- Reporting metamodel design and implementation
- Design and implementation of basic set of reports and dashboards
- Security policy implementation (horizontal and vertical access policies)
- Exposing Rollout – final testing, optimization and knowledge transfer